Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Yet another audition...and a new play by me!

Yes, Ms. "I am NEVER GOING TO AUDITION AGAIN AND DON'T LET ME!" Negativity did withstand the agony and ecstasy (actually, I think it should be the other way around) or auditioning today at Stagesource's annual open call. In point of fact, it's not very painful; you arrive at Boston University about 45 minutes early, complete with 55 resumes and headshots (or 50, if you're me and am five short--last year, I was 10 over, so I tried to conserve, and it didn't work out), sign in, and then wait. And wait. And wait, until they call your group (there were six in mine, but one woman had to leave, b/c they didn't realize she was going to sing, and the accompaniest wasn't prepared), you sit in the narrow hallway, Maureen (one of my former theatre teacher's protegees) the Stage Director instructs you on what to do, and you breathe deeply until she leads you into the space. She announces your name, and then you have exactly (and I do mean EXACTLY, b/c she times you with a stopwatch) 2 minutes and 10 seconds to repeat your name (recommended), give your phone number (if you're short headshots, gleep), and state the name of your piece and author (well, I did the latter, b/c I performed my monologue "The Boyfriend" from my one-woman show "Workin' Progress").

It's questionable as to whether performing your own piece is a good idea, I realize, but I know it really well, it feels comfortable to do it (I've done so for a number of auditions now, and it usually goes quite well, as I believe it did this afternoon), no one in the room had probably heard it before (unless they'd been to one of my shows at ImprovBoston, which is unlikely at best), and it wouldn't bore them. The only problem is that it doesn't show a real range; on the other hand, if I'm trying to show that I'm NOT in my 20s and hightly emotional (meaning, much different than most of the other women), this was a good piece to use. I like the piece enough that it makes sense for me to do all of it, and since it is about 1 minute, 55 seconds (I timed it twice today), it's an ideal length, in which there is a beginning, middle, and end. Had I used two monologues, and that is recommended, I admit, I would have had to cut some of it out, and I don't have another piece at the ready. I figure my chances are slim of being called by any of the 55 producers/directors in the room, but if someone liked me, or my writing, or both, I showcased myself in such a way that s/he would know what s/he was getting. That may not be character-wise the smartest way to go, but since I'm focusing on my writing, anyway, and I want to be comfortable on stage--I was far more comfortable this year than at last year's Stagesource auditions, which is good progress, me thinks--I think this monologue works well for me.

Honestly, I would be beside myself with joy if someone called and was interested in my writing and wanted to use me or collaborate. I didn't get a callback from the Devanaughn (shock!!!), though they did send me a nice note, and I was obviously (very) disappointed, though not surprised. They liked my writing, praised it, but were not looking for writers. Maybe someone today WAS. Ans speaking of writing, I am in the process of completing a brand new, hot-off-the-presses play called "Accept This" (I think--for the moment, anyway, and it works), formerly (as in a half hour ago) called "I'm Not Gay (Am I?)." I prefer the latter title, but it gives too much away, and this is a play where it would be fun to have audience discover the premise (that the woman is NOT gay...oh, no, I gave it away b/f you even read it! I'm so baaaad!) simultaneously with the woman realizing her gay scene partner, male, is convinced that she is. It's supposed to be a comedy, a parody of p.c.-dom, and while I'm not sure it works, I'm going for it. It's edgier (by which I mean risque, or risky, rather than dark) than I usually go, but I would like to send it to two short play festivals, one through AYTB and one through Another Country Productions (SLAMBoston), and both like the edgier stuff (and Another Country does some gay-themed plays every season, as far as I can tell; they are very inclusive). I don't know if I would send this to the heartland, but I don't need to.

In addition, it was (is) fun to write, and it's based on a true-life incident (a gay scene partner did in fact insist that I was gay, which caused me to ponder it briefly, ponder why he thought so longer, and resulted in a poem that I think I've lost but which wasn't all that great). I hope it makes for a good play (unlike a good poem--I'm not a strong poet), and I hope to show it to D. and A. tomorrow (D. is working "Take Me Out" at the BCA and A. and I are going to see it) and get some feedback. I can't figure out what to do with the ending, but there's nothing new (I have an ending, but I don't know if it really resonates). It's currently about 9 1/4 pages, and I have at least another page of material, but I'm not sure it's needed. We'll see. It just feels so good to write again--I've been meaning to sit down and write but I've just been too tired and have been waiting for this vacation week to do so--and I'm proud of the fact that I finally sat down and got it DONE. Whether it's successful remains to be seen. If so, and with some minor editing (only, I hope), I will send it out and see how it does.

I feel that the vacation has gone well so far, with some work (therapy, writing, the audition) and some play (working out, if you can call that play, having ice cream with the Registrar's gang at work today and saying goodbye to Valerie, my supervisor--sigh, and strolling by the Esplanade and along Commonwealth Ave in Boston's beautiful Back Bay in lovely early summer weather), and having written the play makes me feel better about going to Buffalo to see Cynthia on Thursday. I am going to try not to think about today's auditions, b/c I realize it's unlikely I will get any calls (only two last year, resulting in nothing), but I know I was far more confident, and I got myself and my writing out there, and that's all I can do. And wait for Another Country Productions' auditions in late August, b/c they remain my best chance of getting cast, particularly with D. being chosen as one of the directors for the Fall (and kudos to her for going for it!).

2 Comments:

Blogger wafelenbak said...

I haven't stopped by to say hi in awhile! Wanted to say congrats on getting out there--that's the best thing you can do. And maybe, just maybe, your lack of "luck" thus far has a little something to do with the fact it sounds like you truly present yourself as YOU in your auditions. My god, the horror! The theater world surely does NOT need someone honest & real as opposed to fakey-fake. ;) Keep going girl! You can do it!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Sue B said...

Thanks, Diane! I understand that in theatre you are supposed to assume "an identity," but I've always believed in keeping it real. So there ya go. I will just keep on doing what I do well and hope that someone picks up on what I'm going for and digs it. Thanks for the nod and the encouragement. You rock! :-)

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home