Thursday, May 19, 2005

It's the little things...

And that's a good things, b/c the big things are often pretty bad (or rare). Anyway, today was one of those days that contained a lot of small but satisfying moments. For example, I don't usually go to the Thursday night yoga class--I prefer Jess's on Friday--but b/c I might have to attend a final Commencement clearance meeting during the class tomorrow (groan), I wanted to make sure I got in a yoga class this week. George's class was nice and small--only three of us--and he's mellow but not easy. My balance was better than usual and I just felt centered and focused (maybe b/c it was at night, and my mind races far more during the day). When we got to backbends, I did a full, unassisted one (and didn't even realize it!). At the end of the class, George made a comment about backbends, I said, 'Oh, I can't do one,' and then tried and DID IT! First time ever! George then said, 'I noticed you had done one in class,' and I was amazed. My mind completely went free and let my body take over and that's so rare but exactly what you want to have happen in yoga! I was beyond pleased. Clearly, my flexibility is improving, and so a year and a half of training has not gone for naught.

Also, I managed not to binge today (my stomach is still a bit funky, but still, the tendency to binge is always there), and I had a nice, somewhat (for me) leisurely walk at lunch, going to the Public Gardens, doing one loop around, and heading back. Gavin McGraw was on my mp3 player (and man, I LOVE the pink color) and it felt nice to bask in the sun (not as warm as I would have liked, but hey, it wasn't raining out), the tulips were beautiful, and it felt nice to be out. I also finished a project with Dave, the Interior Design Director, and that was satisfying, plus I'm getting more proficient on SCT, which is our new administrative system. It's not easy or intuitive, but the more I use it, the more comfortable I feel, not surprisingly. This is especially important b/c my boss got the job in Tennessee yesterday (yes, that WAS fast) and will be leaving, I suspect, by the end of June, since her new position begins July 10th. Understandably, we are all pretty distraught about this, but I guess the more I learn now, the better it will be later.

Anyway, nothing tremendous or particularly exciting happened today, but little things can be rewards in themselves. I am looking forward to eating my Stoueffer's Lasagna tv dinner and microwave popcorn, watching the season finale of "The Apprentice," and beginning "Prep" by Curtis Sittenfeld (I gave up on "Fat Girl" by Judith Moore b/c I find her annoying and her writing style very irritating and sloppy). I feel sad when I realize I have no one to spend tomorrow night or all day Saturday with, but I did rent two movies, including "Vera Drake," and perhaps I'll take a long walk Saturday, if the weather's nice, or maybe get some writing done (along with laundry) and then take in the Boston Theatre Marathon w/ A. on Sunday. Anyway, I'd rather stick to the present for the moment. That's my day and I'm sticking to it,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home