Monday, May 09, 2005

On risk and rejection (and success!), part eleven

Well, kiddies, we've come to the end of the road. (Not really. I just felt like writing that.) We have indeed reached part eleven, but, not surprisingly, I'm not ready to stop writing about this topic, so I won't. I suspect that it is fairly interesting for the two ppl out there reading, and probably a LOT more interesting than reading about my car troubles (and hoo boy, do I have them; I think the catalytic converter is shot, and my stupid Kia only has 32,00o miles on it! ugh!). But that's not terribly interesting, whereas my relationship with the arts is moreso, or I like to believe as much. I returned to work today, feeling pretty anxious (thankyouverymuch, car), sans therapy (since I couldn't get out to Waltham, and Susan isn't free again til next Monday, feh), and with a ton of catch up to do, after taking four days off. Exercising helped a lot, and after a 60 minute work out, I felt a lot more relaxed. But it wasn't until I went to my Write-On writing group meeting tonight that I started to really feel better, and continue to feel so as the evening progressed.

When I first got there, I didn't really know anyone, and sat in the corner (or near the corner), eating my pretty sad Wendy's homestyle chicken strips salad (granted, it was tasty, and a decent source of needed protein) and feeling rather lonely. But then a few people arrived that I knew from the last meeting, which was nice, and finally D. and a couple of her friends showed up and the first reading began. It was pretty interesting--Leslie Dillen is VERY talented, and had strong actors reading her work-in-progress--and the comments were as well. Then D. presented her 10-minute play, and I read the part of the daughter, to a good response (Damn, I love to cold-read!). Finally, she had her two-minute play read, and then my piece, "Computer Guy," was performed, and those in attendance really seemed to like it! The man reading it did a great job, and there was laughter and then genuine praise. It just made me feel so good. In fact, I felt as if I were walking on air. People liked my writing! They think I'm a comic writer! WOW!

Could this be for real? Do I have some legitimate talent! It's a short piece, but still...the response was far better than I'd anticipated (maybe this is a common theme for me), and gave me such confidence, as I really respect the writers and actors (primarily the former) who were there. I just wanted to take a leave from work and write for a week straight, then send my plays out EVERYWHERE. Clearly, this isn't possible, but what a high to have my work appreciated. It is such a validation, and I guess it's not my desire or fantasy but a reality, b/c I didn't ask for the praise, but I received it (I just had the piece read for the hell of it, b/c people wanted to hear a two-minute piece). I'm excited about the two-minute one I wrote while I was on the plane to Florida (and then refined at my sister's) and hope another festival comes along where I can present it. Meanwhile, I am starting to feel more confident about my abilities, and more and more eager to sit down and do the writing deed.

I sincerely hope I get cast this week at the Theatre@First auditions, b/c I dearly want to act, but I know I have my writing, and that sort of keeps me from going off the deep end. I may be poor (relatively speaking), I may get frustrated at work, I may not have a boyfriend, I may not be as pretty or as thin as I'd like, and I may not even get cast this week (though I better! ;-)), but I DO have my writing, and that's a wonderful thing indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home