Saturday, April 16, 2005

Keeping it short...

My 13-part series on risk and rejection will resume either tomorrow or Monday night. :-) In the meantime, I do have an idea for a 10-minute play, where the protagonist has a bad job interview, then a bad date, and THEN gets really bent out of shape (this idea thanks to friend A.) over something ridiculous. I am trying to find a way for it to end on a happy note, however, rather than the traditional tears, killing someone, or slitting of risks (I'm big on the latter two ;-)). I really want to try writing something fun or funny/humorous now, rather than a downer. Both my 10-minute play and 20-minute play are pretty dark and even dour, and I need to work on something lighter at this point.

Speaking of shows, I saw Mike Albo's one-man show, "My Price Point," tonight at the Boston Center for the Arts and liked it quite a bit. It was a lot more risque than "workin' progress" was, and he's got a ton of experience performing (plus he's extremely flexible!!!), but it gave me some ideas of what I could do with my show, if/when I bring it back (my friend D. would be willing to help me with it, which I really need; never attempt to self-direct a one-person show if you want to enjoy the process). I really got to see how he "conversed" with someone not there, as he often had conversations as The Underminer (hysterical), belittling in that oh-so-coy way someone he knew at yoga, or in the dog park, or at a bar. He had the right timing and that right look to make it seem as if the person was really there, being...well, indermined, and it's something I never quite got down but would like to try in the future. Since I have no idea how to insert pictures yet (tis sad, I know), go here:

http://www.thetheateroffensive.org/ttowebmikealbo.jpg

I also cleaned the apartment today (two hours! a first!), worked out (so I don't have to tomorrow, birthday-day), went to the supermarket (always stressful for me, but a necessity), and had dinner with A., D., and D's husband J before we ushered for the play. I am the world's WORST usher--I seated at least 8 people in the wrong seats, I kid you not--but then I went out in a most daring way wearing a "Theatre Offensive" white sports bra over my black, three-quarter length Gap (naturally) cotton shirt/blouse and was received very well (it was for fundraising purposes, people, and I didn't disrobe, unlike both Mike Albo and the bartender who was wearing the Theatre Offensive's jock strap and pretty much stripped to let it all...er...show). I feel like I redeemed myself, and it was fun to perform, if momentarily. :-) I had to stop myself from becoming completely depressed when D. told me one or two of her plays had been accepted for the Arlington Players 10-minute festival--realize I haven't been told mine haven't been accepted, as the director hasn't notified anyone yet except D., because she asked, and I'm jumping to ridiculous, if well-founded, conclusions--but I guess I'll just wait and see if I do get one of my plays accepted (I think I submitted "Peanut Butter Sandwiches" and my monologue "Chair," but I honestly don't remember anymore). It would be a lovely birthday present (and would mean a weekend of both D. and my works being performed, as it's the same weekend as the Two-Minute Play Festival in Providence and Boston), but I also don't want to find out I was rejected (somehow, I always come back to it ;-)), so I may just wait to read the email, should I get it tomorrow and not Monday (not sure yet, as said director is in NYC til tomorrow).

So, tomorrow I turn the big 4-2 (actually, in less than an hour, but I may be asleep when the moment arrives), and we'll see how I do. I have brunch planned, a possible walk in high 60's degree weather with A., dinner plans with two friends I went to Paris with two years ago through the college, and possibly a book club friend's celebratory party (he got into graduate school), if I can fit it all in. Should be a fun day without any stress (aside from turning the big 4-2, and I haven't quite internalized that fact yet). We shall see how I do...

1 Comments:

Blogger wafelenbak said...

Happy Birthday, Sue B!! I can't believe our birthdays are so close together. Hope you had a really beautiful day today! :)

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home