Thursday, April 20, 2006

GOOD NEWS: AN ACCEPTANCE

Well, I'm great about sharing bad/difficult news, so here's something happy to celebrate: I was accepted into the TCAN (Natick's Theatre Center)'s play festival in June! They took my 10-minute play "Peanut Butter Sandwiches," which seems to be popular, b/c it was the one that also got into Middleboro's Theatre One Festival (and was subsequently snowed out in February). I don't know who the competition was, and I don't care. I'm just excited that my play was chosen, that it will get a full staging (not just a stage reading, though those are cool, too), and that it's LOCAL, so D. and I can see it. :) Ironically, it's the same weekend as weekend one of "Five," the Arlington Players Festival. However, it's being performed both Friday and Saturday nights, so I can go to Five on Thursday and Friday, go to Natick on Saturday with my sister and her husband in Western Mass, celebrate Father's Day at my mom and dad's on Sunday, and then go back to Five the following week.

As one of the producers and a playwright, I would like to attend most of the Five performances (there are six altogether), but I can miss one or two--I'm not the director or one of the actors, of course (though I wanted to act--now it's a good thing I wasn't cast, since I wouldn't have been able to see MY play in Natick). And on the writing front, I plan to revise one or more of my plays this Saturday (I have the WHOLE day open, which is very rare), and then am seeing a new play called The Man Who, based on Oliver Sacks's work, on Saturday night with A. I usher for AYTB's play, written by friend John Shanahan (congrats on the new baby, Daddy Shanahan!), on Sunday, and then attend the CentaStage's benefit. So I'm going to be pretty busy, BUT have tomorrow night and Saturday available. But PLEASE God, do NOT have the jack hammers start up again at 7:30am tomorrow morning! There is nothing more awful than waking up to the sound of a jack hammer (trust me). Tuesday, Wednesday, and today I was greeted by that delightful sound, and I can't take it again. I even DREAMED about it last night (freaky). I think (hope) that they are done, though there might be another day of it. Just let it end by Saturday (happily, they didn't begin the work until Tuesday, so my birthday was not spoiled by the evil sound), so I can sleep in again (or just...well...wake up in a natural way). I did have a very nice birthday with my parents, and I got GAP gift certificates, which NEVER go to waste. :)

And finally, on a sadder note, my 96-year-old grandfather is in bad shape and my dad is flying out to Florida to spend the weekend with him. Grandpa had a wonderful life, and I hope he goes quickly, so he is not in pain and leaves on a restful, happy note. My dad is very sad, of course, but I think he's accepted it, and that's most important. And my mom is going out to see my sister in Western Mass and the nieces tomorrow for a few days, so she won't have to be alone. I wish my grandfather a peaceful death, and hope I can enjoy some of the contentment he has enjoyed for nearly all of his adult life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Congrats on the acceptance! You deserve it!

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. All four of mine died years ago... I miss them occasionally still.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home