Wednesday, March 15, 2006

No news is bad news...

And I don't really feel like writing about how both the Dragonfly (definitively) and The Boston Theatre Marathon (99 percent certain) turned down my plays. The latter was absolutely expected; the former cuts like a bloody knife. I really thought ONE of my plays would resonate with them; I thought wrong. Many friends, including D., didn't get in, either, but...but...dammit all to hell. I cannot get a play to be accepted. Do I have to pay people? It's beginning to feel that way. I also auditioned for Dragonfly, which I knew was a long shot, and since I have heard nothing, I assume it's a no shot. Sigh. So instead of moaning about how NO ONE wants to take my stuff (which certainly seems to be the case), I will fill out this short survey instead, and then watch American Idol. Yes, I watch it. I love Taylor, the gray-haired guy. He's 29 and he's fearless. I also love Chris, the rocker who did a great, Chili Pepper's rendition of "Higher Ground." These are MY idols. :) Screw pop songs, I like rock and blues, and that's what you get with these two. I'm not sure either will win, but I love 'em. Oh, and yoga. I did it tonight, a rare Wednesday evening off, and it helped me forget, if for an hour, what a loser I am in the eyes of all of the festivals (FOR NOW--maybe not for LATER). Addendum: Both made it to the next week. Whew! :)

Anyway, herewith the survey. And then onto guilty pleasures (I think Kevin may get the boot; he is not very strong, IMHO). Thanks to fellow blogger Diane for the idea (it's up on her "sparktacular" site, which I have a link to, you may have noticed).

Survey o Stuff

Four jobs I’ve had
Developmental Editor for college textbooks
Professional Disc Jockey/News Anchor and Writer
Director of Student Services (am currently)
Lackey at Cumberland Farms (worst.job.ever)

Four movies I can watch over and over
Coffee & Cigarettes
The Office
Singles
South Park: The Movie

Four TV shows I love to watch
The Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart/The Colbert Report
Grey's Anatomy
Golf (seriously), the Red Sox, the Patriots, and the final four in basketball
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Four places I’ve been on vacation
Paris
England/Scotland/Wales
Historic Williamsburg Virginia
Chicago

Four favorite dishes
Meat lasagna (or any pasta dish)
Nachos
Taco salad
Pad Thai with chicken

Four websites I visit daily
Salon.com
Boston.com
En Avant (playwrighting)
The Playwrights Noticeboard

Four places I’d rather be
In my bed, reading a book or magazine and sipping Diet Coke (decaf only!)
On a warm beach
Visiting my niece and nephew in Florida
Visiting my nieces in Western Mass

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what the best tonic for being rejected by the BTM is? You're going to laugh at me when I tell you: go to the Marathon. I'm serious. When you see the crap they chose to present, you'll see. Some BTM plays are very good indeed. It's just that some, quite a lot really, suck rocks. You'll leave the theater knowing that your play was better than some of the turkeys that were up on that stage.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Sue B said...

Thanks, Anon. I have been to two BTMs and I must agree. I have two friends who got into this year's marathon, and both are great playwrights, but I've seen some major dreck there, and wondered, why them? why not me? That is probably the case with the Dragonfly as well (which hurt more, b/c I submitted FIVE plays to them, and I do not believe that all five were unworthy of being chosen). Anyway, I am taking a break from submitting (after sending off two more submissions today), and instead am going to focus on writing. That's what it's supposed to be about, anyway. Thanks for the support. :)

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home