Friday, December 16, 2005

Another cold, another audition, more waiting

Well, not much to share this week. The dreaded cold returned (how and why, I'm not really sure), and I'm home today, Friday, resting in sweats, though I do plan to head out tonight with D. to see a play at the Boston Center for the Arts that sounds like fun. Despite the dreaded head cold, I did attend the auditions for Another Country's 10-minute play festival at M.I.T. on Tuesday night. I debated whether it was worth doing so quite a bit. I had to work until 8pm (advising), then write up notes, and finally head out in the extreme cold (it was about 5 degrees out, and when you have a cold, in particular, that hurts). I decided I would go for it, because it was the only night that AC was holding auditions, and you can't win if you don't play. I kept coughing (though not while I was actually auditioning) and really felt lousy. I'm not sure how that affected my audition, if at all, but I do know that I haven't been contacted yet, a bad sign, though I was asked to read three times, a somewhat promising sign.

After each audition, and its resulting dead air, I wonder if it's worth it, and if I really ought to stop putting myself though this (usually) inevitable rejection. What I still find puzzling is that I am able to read quite competently, if not better, in my playwrighting groups. On Monday night, I was asked to read three times for the Write-On group--two roles were major--and I thought I did quite well, bringing the appropriate amount of intensity and emotion to each. And yet, when I go before the auditioners, I suspect that this enthusiasm dries up, and all they see is someone either pushing too hard or not pushing much at all. It's hard to say, as no one critiques my readings (as I've noted before), but I get the sense that I am just not in the moment enough. I really don't have the money to spend on auditioning classes (and I mourn the thousands of dollars I wasted on improv classes), and I cannot find an auditioning buddy, so I have to continue going this alone. I am certain there was at least one or two roles I could do well, but I probably won't ever have the chance to show the director my ability. It's quite disappointing, but I realize it's completely out of my control, and so much of this is arbitrary, so I really do have to move on.

As far as playwrighting goes, nothing to report there. I did revise the ending of "Accept This!" and have sent it to a few more festivals. I got a rejection letter from Fullerton College in California this week for my one-act play, but I since I barely remember even writing to them, I'm not too upset about it. I haven't written anything new, b/c I haven't felt well enough and haven't had the time to pursue anything, but I hope to have some time over the break. While I'd like to work on the long piece, based loosely on my friend A's relationship with her long-time friend/boyfriend, there are so many sad elements (including severe depression and terminal illness, as well as the relationship itself) that I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to tackle this over the holidays, when I usually feel blue enough as is. And the Arlington Players met last week, and we discovered that we do not have any directors, plus we need a fourth play and actors. Thank God the festival isn't until June! I am a bit concerned, but since I'm not one of the producers, it really isn't my call as to how we proceed, so I'll just lay low and see what happens. I would still REALLY like to be in Monica's play, but that isn't my call, so I just have to wait and see what she and the director (who may or may not be someone else) decide.

I wish I had more to say at this point, but it's hard to think, let alone write, with a bad cold, and I haven't engaged in much this week. It will be fun to see a play with D. and her friend tonight, and somehow I have to get over to B.U. to pick up a couple of packets of plays for the Boston Playwrights Theatre Festival (and I only have until the 22nd, so I'm running out of time). My book club is also meeting tomorrow for a book swap/holiday get together, which would be better if I didn't have a cold, but should still be enjoyable. (GO AWAY, COLD!) For now, more rest, more liquids, and more sniffling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home