Sunday, November 13, 2005

And the sun sets and the sun rises...

Just to let you know that I survived last night, and I was feeling pretty horribly (as the blog post indicated), I've returned for a brief update. I hope no one thinks I was being derogative of local theatre. In fact, I was pointing out the fact that no one seems interested in my work, and I'm not exactly setting my eye on unreasonable sites. Local theatres do terrific work--sometimes better than the bigger theatres (again, I'll point to "The Sisters Rosensweig" at The Huntington Theatre at B.U. as a big ticket item that didn't speak to me at all, while "Proof" at Chelsea Theatre Works was incredibly riveting). There is one particular theatre that seems deadset on neither accepting my plays nor casting me in any of their own, and I think I will cease submitting to them (I've already stopped auditioning for them). I wish they'd be honest and just let me know that they don't like my work and aren't interested in me. I do appreciate that kind of honesty, even though it hurts (to be perpetually rejected hurts more, however.) That said, most theatres try to be open-minded, and I guess I just haven't spoken to any artistic directors...yet. And of course, what really helped was to do a hard workout, then watch the rest of "The Upside of Anger," do some reading, and head to bed.

Today, I had a great yoga class (I was actually relaxed by the end of the 90 minutes!), and then met with the new financial advisor, Jon, who is incredibly nice and helped me organize my finances further, along with some recommendations about cutting expenses. After that, I went to work for a couple of hours, something I typically don't do, but which actually relaxed me further, as I got some of the portfolio clearances finished and feel better about the fact that I'm taking off Friday for my friend Cynthia's visit from Buffalo. And now I'm just sitting at the computer, listening to e-town on The River and trying not to care that my writing hasn't resulted in more success (yet, yet, yet I hope). I'm also trying to remember that I write because I want to, not because I have to, that it generally makes me feel good, that friends appreciate my plays (I just got a note from a friend I used to work with who asked me to email her more plays, which I happily did), and that I don't want to focus on any one thing to validate me. You typically don't want to depend on only have one friend, and it's not a good idea to only have one past-time. I will take my mind off writing and think about other things, like the good work I do for students, like the enjoyment I get from the gym, like my friends who want to see me and whom I want to spend time with. Writing isn't everything, it's not the only thing, it's just "one" thing, so chill, chill, chill and remember: it's their loss if they don't want my writing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you well in your pursuit for getting your play produced. It seems that everyday I get frustrated because mine are not getting produced. But everyday I have to remind myself that I write because it's what I have to do - and I leave the rest in God's hand - I know that eventually my words will be out there. If it happened over night we wouldn't appreciate it as much. I don't want that. I want my work to affect those who hear/see it - and it should be the work of a man who has put blood, sweat, AND tears into it.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Sue B said...

Thanks, Michael. Unfortunately, as you know, the rejection just keeps growing, as a local festival took five people's plays (I know all five of them, and they comprise five of the 14 playwrights chosen), but neither of mine (I'm not sure they even read one of my submissions, though I've inquired). I have made the decision NOT to be involved with the festival as an actor or anything else. The pain is simply too great. For now, I will focus on revising current pieces and writing new ones. Submissions will happen or they won't. Rejection sucks, and there's no other way to put it. All you can do is believe in yourself, and as you say, the work will impact those who deserve to read it (and having read your work, there is no question that it WILL get produced, hopefully sooner than later).

Thanks to SOCK, whoever you are, for the continued support. Someday, this will work out.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home