Thursday, March 31, 2005

Cuts like a knife, in good AND bad ways...

Well, I'm back from NYC. It's always nice to come home, but I did have a good time there. The location, right by Central Park and Times Square (Sheraton Manhattan), was ideal, and I had some amazing meals, the like of which I rarely enjoy in Boston (mostly b/c of the cost, and also b/c of the calories). I already spoke about the mouth symphony on Tuesday night w/ Susola; well, last night equaled that. Tuesday night, we went to Becco--last night, Tyler, Dave (two improv friends), and I trekked 30 blocks to Amsterdam Avenue, where we feasted on cheeses at Celeste Ristorante, followed by dessert (just tea for me) at Cafe Lalo (where they have the coolest t-shirts ever, and I now own one to prove it ;-)). The latter is a small restaurant tucked deep in the neighborhood, so not at all touristy, but wonderful (and that's why, of course).

We began with a FIFTEEN cheese platter, which the owner cultivated and discoursed on (and which we ate counter-clockwise and with dipping sauces for each, from honey to currant jelly to figs and much more). Tyler, Dave, and I ritually ate each, with one of us cutting the small piece of cheese into threes (some were larger than others, and a couple pretty crumbly, but we managed), and then the three of us picking up the cheese with our forks, dipping into the appropriate accoutrement, and then eating and discussing. YUM. I don't drink wine, so this is as close to a wine tasting as I'll probably come, and it was just right with me, and worth the $10/person. My and Dave's gnocci dish, large and tasty, was only $9.99, a real steal for NYC, so we did just fine overall. We also walked the 30 blocks back to my hotel after dessert/tea, so much of the meal vanished into the warm NYC night air, but the delicious aroma of pungent cheese remained. Amazing. Thank you, Tyler and Dave, for a wonderful night. I will miss you both and can't wait to see you when you're back in the Boston area.

Today, after a nice long workout (thank you, left knee, for finally allowing me to do the elliptical machine again!), Karen and I headed back to JFK for our flight home (TGI Friday's is never good, and esp. not at JFK and also after such a wonderful few days of marvelous meals). I am grateful at such times not to have kids, as Karen had to go to a parent/teacher conference later in the evening, while I got to check work and personal email, unpack, and unwind. Sadly, one of the new emails was from the Devanaughn Theatre, informing me (no shock this) that my play had not been accepted into the Dragonfly Festival. Or rather, noting those that had, and knowing mine had not by omission. What bothered me more than anything was that a few of the playwrights had two plays included AND that most of the playwrights are well-known to the Devanaughn. I knew it wasn't a blind read, but please, be real. If you honestly don't intend to include works by unknown writers, be forthright about it! Neither my friend Debbie nor I were chosen (she submitted two plays, me one), and my friend Tahnee and I were not chosen as actors (and SHE is DAMN GOOD). Not that we've heard, but at this point can assume as much. Rejection cuts and bites and all of that, and no, it never gets easier. After each, you swear you won't go through this again, and then you do, and wonder why (I have an audition for a cool local theatre company next weekend--my chances are *thisgreat*). Thank God I don't have to depend upon either my acting or writing success for sustenance, or I'd be homeless and living in under a bridge somewhere.

Still, I had a good time in New York--it's too big and fast-paced for me to ever consider living there, but a lot of fun to visit--and hope next time to get to the Village and into MoMa, which I've never had the chance to tour. And tomorrow I return to work, caught up and happy that it's Friday, rain on the way and all. For now, I'm off to watch a documentary on HBO about Air America, the liberal radio station (w/ Al Franken Janeane Garafalo, etal), followed by The Apprentice (I walked by the Trump Hotel and Trump Towers--pretty swanky, both of 'em), and then bed. I will try to deal with rejection with my non-customary aplomb ;-), and look forward to the next opportunity and the possibility of a positive response in forthcoming days and weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home