Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Happy Spring? It's Snowing Out!!!

Need I say more? Of course, I will, or this wouldn't be a valid entry, but how the HELL can it be snowing out again??? Mercy! And not just a few snowflakes, mind you, but a boatload of snow, 6-12 inches worth. I got suckered in yesterday, thinking, Yes, at last, Spring is on its way. I walked around the Public Gardens, noticed a few budding buds here and there, even felt *warm* for a few moments as I walked round the area in the 50 degree sunshine, and then...spiteful trick, Mamacita Nature! I took my gloves out of my winter jacket for the first time today, and put them right back in this evening. The snow has begun falling, and whilst never pretty to these eyes, it looks particularly bleak tonight. There will be more shoveling, scraping, blowing, and blasting, and maybe we'll see bare ground again in..oh, I don't know, May, perhaps? Tragic? No. But frustrating as all hell? You better, you better, you bet.

Meanwhile, I worry needlessly over things like my parking permit, fearing it's about to expire, and rushing out to my car, only to find it does indeed expire..in 2007! At least when I ran out last night in jammies and slippers, there was no SNOW ON THE GROUND. Oh, I can't help it. I detest the winter. Yes, like all faithful New Englanders, I complain about the weather constantly. However, unlike many, I adore summer. It can't be hot enough for me (unless it's 95 degrees w/ 99 percent humidity--only then do I crave some respite), and there are always cold, frothy, frosty drinks and air conditioning to see you through. The heat doesn't cause you to miss engagements because the roads are too slick, and you don't trip on the sidewalk because the sun was too strong. No, the summer is full of warm, bucolic days that last well into the evening, surrounded by greenery and outdoor concerts and birds and ice cream cones. What's not to like? Unless you ski or snowboard, what the hell is there TO LIKE in the winter? Yes, I'm a big fan of black ice and hypothermia. Silly me.

Let it NOT snow, please, for the love of God. I cannot take it anymore. I need to put away my shovel and my scarf and put on shorts and t-shirts and Birkenstocks. And I don't want to wait til my trip to Florida in May to do so, though I probably will have to.

My suntan lotion SCREAMS to be used...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home