Thursday, March 17, 2005

Am I ever going to get cast?! or Rejection SUCKS!

The answer--not so much. It's pretty disheartening to keep auditioning and to keep getting rejected. Aside from SLAMBoston at the Devanaughn Theatre in January (and it was a blast!), I haven't been cast in anything...well, EVER (or at least not since I was 15, my stint in "The Mumbling Prophets" sketch troupe notwithstanding, and that had OPEN admission!). Why, one wonders? Well, for one thing, I'm 41 years old, and most plays do NOT call for women who are in their 40s (unless you get to play someone's mother, and trust me, that is NOT the part for me). I'm also short and not skinny (though not heavy) and I'm not *in* with the cool kids. So what to do? Keep auditioning, of course!!! In the meantime, I booked a flight to Florida in May to visit my sister, niece, and nephew instead of sitting around waiting for the elusive role. It's just so much FUN to act, and I don't know why it all has to be so cliquey. Why can't you just do it? Lest you think I'm all complaining, no action, I did found, direct, and act in a longform improv comedy troupe at ImprovBoston called TBD, and we performed a number of shows, but the shelf life was only a year and we had to disband. I also co-founded a three-person longform troupe, SOCK, complete with sock puppets, which was a blast. Alas, Rick and Mike got older and I did, too, and they focused on applying to college and I regretfully moved on. I hope we'll do a reunion show this summer.

I also haven't had any of my plays produced, but in fairness, I only started writing plays during the past year, and only began sending them out to festivals this year (my one-woman show excepted). I'm not holding my breath, but I am going to keep writing and submitting, and maybe someone, somewhere, will think I have something worthy of saying and will put it on.
My dream is to be accepted into BU's Playwrighting program (guess I need to apply first, eh?), learn everything there is to learn, and then get my work produced. It could happen, right? I do have my MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College, but when I attended ('92-'95), I was more interested in short fiction than plays (not sure why), and my 150 pp Thesis consists of short stories that are, to put it kindly, not that strong. I guess I needed 10 more years to find my voice AND find my topics that had nothing to do with me, and now I have. At last. I'm ready to write, people. Watch out! Rejection is inevitable, and unavoidable, but it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt like hell.

If anyone wants to take a look at one of my plays, let me know. In the meantime, I've got a new play to write and the Hovey Players are looking for short plays for their summer festival...time is awastin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home