Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Brief update from NYC and the AACRAO Conference

Well, as calm as it was Sunday night is as hectic as it is here in NYC on this Tuesday morning. I got into town yesterday with a colleague--first time riding on a shuttle (gotta say, I prefer larger airplanes, but it was a short, easy flight, and we did get a beverage)--and we checked into our hotel right away, after a couple of cab rides. Alas, we didn't get the nice hotel, the Sheraton New York--it was booked, so we ended up across the street at the Sheraton Manhattan, which desperately needs updating. It has that old hotel smell, and the rooms (or at least *my* room) is cramped, with chipped furniture. It feels decaying. However, I do have a quiet room (my colleague does not), and that is all that counts. In addition, the hotel across the street has a really nice health club facility ($20 for the duration of my stay), so I worked out for about 75 minutes yesterday and may today (IF my clothes dry!). Otherwise, I'll use the pool in my hotel, which isn't too bad, and I do have a bathing suit with me.

The AACRAO Conference (for Registrars, Admissions Officers, and various Student Affairs personnel) has been okay so far, but nothing thrilling. I wasn't enthralled with the US Army Corps gospel choir (they rather sucked and I would rather not hear them sing about Jesus for 45 minutes), and the opening speaker was okay but didn't say anything revolutionary. Today's first session, at 8:15 am (when I normally wake up!!!), was about first generation students, an interesting topic, but the presenter had nothing with him: no handouts, no a/v, nada, and it was hard to keep up w/ him and take notes. He also only spoke for a half hour and I asked a question, along w/ a few others, but that was it. I hope other sessions are more informative and I can listen, rather than scribble notes I can't read. ;-)

I also hope I get to see a little bit of NYC during this brief stay (I leave Thursday), though I kind of doubt it, since the sessions run til 5:30pm and they are tiring. I am planning to meet up w/ friends tonight (possibly) and tomorrow night (definitely), hopefully near the hotel, so that will be nice. I prefer smaller conferences in warmer, less hectic climes (like the one I went to on advising last year in Norfolk, VA--that was awesome), but you do what you have to do, and at least I'm not paying for it! At least I have a quiet room. That is key.

Finally, my friend Debbie's 10 minute play was not accepted into the Boston Playwrights' Festival. I feel so badly. I had hoped so much it would be. We still haven't heard from the Devanaughn, and probably never will, and aside from the one rejection I received, I've heard nada from nadie. Ah, well. Better to stay busy and not worry about it, I guess. I plan to get to more creative writing when I get home.

Well, almost time to go to another session. I'm standing at a 17 inch flat screen (that's nice, at least) in the middle of a large conference hall, aka the Cyber Cafe, and I'm getting sore from writing (it's been at least 45 minutes), so I'm going to sign off now. I hope to have a nice lunch and dinner, and am stocking up on free beverages. ;-) (I am also checking work email, so I'm not just fooling around. Second half semester classes started today, so I really had no choice.) I'll write more tomorrow or Thursday. Ciao from NYC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home