Friday, March 25, 2005

Always Look On the Bright Side of Life (especially on Fridays)

Well, it's high time I wrote an uplifting post, is it not? And it's a lot easier to do that on a Friday night than a Sunday night; what a difference a couple of days makes! Anyway, it's been a pretty good week, made better by the fact that I'm off to New York for a Student Affairs Conference Monday morning. Swanky hotel, all expenses paid, networking, meeting up with improv friends; it's all good, or I hope it will be. It was also a fairly easy week at work, since it was Spring Break and few students came into the building. I love 'em, but it's easier to love them from afar. ;-) Actually, a nice thing happened: a student who is about to graduate brought me back some delicious chocolates from Ireland (yes, he's Irish, and has the nicest brogue). It was completely unexpected and just thoughtful. I may not get paid a ton of money in my job, but it's moments like that keep me working in higher ed.

I was also pleased that I was able to complete a yoga class today. I let Jess know that I was concerned about my knees (and showed her the left one, still bruised and yellowed, which must have thrilled her to no end), and she asked if I wanted to take the week off and rest. Naturally, I said no--as it is, I haven't worked out since last Saturday, save 50 minutes on the treadmill with weights one day (and plenty of icing of the knees that night)--and so I modified and it worked out fine. In fact, and this could just be coincidental or a placebo effect, my knees, esp. my left one, are bothering me less tonight than they were last night. It was a pretty rigorous class, too, but I got through it okay, with lots of deeeeeep breaths, and felt tired but happy afterwards. A few more hours of concentrated work and I was outta there and on a bit of a break til next Friday.

Tonight, I just watched "What Not to Wear," a guilty pleasure, and am going to read "Hypocrite in a Pouffy Red Dress" before bed (or start it--again--in hopes of actually finishing it at some point). Tomorrow, I have an audition for a local improv/sketch/theatrical troupe, and while my chances are minimal, for reasons I'd rather not get into, I do have a little material they might be interested in, and the audition is 2 1/2-3 hours, so that will be good practice, if nothing else. (Of course, I'd love to be chosen, b/c Mike, the founder/director, is so aggressive, not to mention talented, and those affiliated with him get on stage ALOT. He is as determined as anyone I personally know in Boston.) This follows brunch at a Polish restaurant with my book club. Sunday, Anna and I hope to see a play, and then I fly off to NYC on Monday morning. Oh, and of course there is the business of sleeping in. Very nice. Oh, and there is little snow on the ground, it's supposed to get into the 50s again by Sunday, and in five weeks I visit my sister and niece and nephew in Florida. So I have things to look forward to--not birthday, but we won't go there right now--and I feel more hopeful that my knees actually will heal in the near future.

No word from any of the festivals regarding my plays, but most of the deadlines haven't come yet. I can only hope and not get unnerved if the answer isn't favorable.

Every night should be Friday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home